Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Harvest Meal - June 28, 2010

Yesterday, I made an awesome lunch for my family, all from our farm and garden. We had a pork tenderloin from last winter's hogs, Swiss chard, baby beets (for Liam), mixed salad greens, blueberries, sugar snap peas, shallots and garlic.


I roasted the pork tenderloin on a cedar plank along with the baby beets for 1.5 hours. When finished, the tenderloin medallions were topped with blackberry liquer sauce. I sauteed the shallots and homemade bacon and baked them in skillet cornbread. I cooked the Swiss Chard, sugar snap peas, and garlic with pine nuts and raisins for a delectable side dish. After all that cooking, the blueberries were simply eaten straight from the bowl with a splash of yogurt. Good food, straight from the farm.

5 comments:

  1. Love, love, love!!!
    What a wonderful meal!
    Question... do you make your own yogurt? If not, I have a method that is TOTALLY easy and wonderful! Let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! We have discussed whether to get a pig or two when we retire. I think we want to now.
    Sounds great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, everybody.

    Chas - The yogurt was store bought. I'll try to contact you to get the recipe.

    Linda - Pigs are so much fun to raise. Last year I learned to butcher them myself. The cuts were much better than when would get from the butcher shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great meal Ken! It doesn't get more homegrown/raised than that. Hopefully you'll do a tutorial on how you butcher your hogs. I'd be really interested to see that.

    Butchering, does that include killing/dressing them? If so, did you have any reservations the first time you did it? As a meat eater, I feel an obligation to do it at least once in my life...I don't know if I have the will or stamina for it though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thomas - I butcher all of our animals here on the farm along with anything I get from hunting. I never had any reservations with the hogs, or any other animal, because I always kept it in my mind that that was what we were raising them for. I never considered them pets. The boer goats that we started raising this year will be a different story, though. They are quite affectionate and Liam loves them. When we feed them at night, he walks in the field with the bucket and they follow them to the feeder. Then he gives them all a hug. They have their purpose, but it will be hard.

    ReplyDelete