Monday, February 8, 2010

Seed Starting

Finally! It's time to plant some seeds. I've been waiting for this moment ever since the seed catalogs started arriving and tempting me with their delightful treasures. Our first order for seeds came from Johnny Seeds and a couple of treats from Thomas at A Growing Tradition.

From Thomas, I received Cherokee Purple Tomato, Bok Choy Extra Dwarf, and Bok Choy Shanghai. Thank you, Thomas.

From Johnny Seeds, I ordered Encore Lettuce Mix, Upton Leeks, Pac Choi (Black Summer and Joi Choi), Bunching Onions (Evergreen Hardy White and Deep Purple), Sugar Snap Peas, and Strike Shelling Peas.

I started the lettuce and leeks indoors, under lights. I set up some shelves next to our wood stove where I can be certain the soil will be at least 60 degrees.

Lettuce seeds, waiting to germinate

One packet of leeks seeds, sown and preparing to emerge.

As soon as this latest round of snow goes away (we just got another 2 feet), I plan to build a cold frame to start seeds of onions, choys, lettuce and cabbages. The peas I will plant directly in some raised beds under row covers.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck, Ken with all the seeds. It's the exciting time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope those seeds work out for you Ken. I will say that I got really good germination rates from the Shanghai bok choy so far.

    Thanks for reminding me, I have to get my leeks in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thomas - The bok choy seeds are great! I started some of the Shanghai the other day. I got almost 100% germination in less than 2 days. I'm looking forward to starting the rest of it soon.

    My leeks are about 2 inches tall now. They are kind of spindly. I hope they are fine. I've never grown leeks before, so this is new to me.

    ReplyDelete